1. England, Ecuador and host nation Germany have advanced to the second round of the World Cup.
世界杯决赛圈的第一轮比赛是小组赛，第二轮就是八分之一决赛，也就是十六强的比赛。“晋级”自然是“前进(advance)”，那么晋级十六强就是advance to the second round of the World Cup了。
2. A 3-0 victory against Costa Rica put Ecuador in the second round of the World Cup for the first time.
这场战役对厄瓜多尔来说意义可真是非同小可。厄瓜多尔第一次晋级世界杯十六强啊! 除了advance，“晋级”还可以说成put „ in the second round of the World Cup。什么才有可能将一只球队put in the second round of the World Cup?当然是战绩了。所以这个句型前面的主语通常是“对„„的胜利”。
顺便提一下，“几比几战胜某只队伍”就可以说成 (number) – (number) victory against „这个小横杠 – 要读成 to。
3. The first thing German coach Juergen Klinsmann did when his team qualified for the second round of the World Cup was give his players a day off.
德国教练果然是体恤球员。一听到晋级十六强的消息，立刻就给队员放了一天假。 晋级十六强后，就有资格参加世界杯决赛圈第二轮的比赛了。所以，“晋级”除了advance to, put in 这两个表达，还可以说成是 qualify for。
4. A 1-0 win Thursday night against Paraguay put the Swedes in position to move into the second round.
上周四晚上，瑞典对巴拉圭的胜利给瑞典燃起了晋级十六强的希望之火。不过，究竟能不能晋级还要等第三轮小组赛完了才能确定。总的来说，B组瑞典还是大有晋级希望的。 这个“有希望晋级”就可以说成in the position to move into the second round。不过，到底能不能晋级，就看瑞典的实力和运气了。
banana kick 弧线球
Banana kick is a type of kick that gives the ball a curved trajectory, used to get the ball around an obstacle such as a goaltender or defender.
Bicycle kick (also known as overhead kick) describes a situation when a player kicks the ball in mid-air backwards and over his own head.
Bicycle kick(也可用overhead kick表示)指球员在腾空状态下、且头下脚上将球往后踢的动作。也就是传说中的“倒钩球”。
Butterfingers refer to a clumsy person, especially one who tends to drop things. During the World Cup, the term refers ironically to those clumsy goalkeepers prone to let shots slip through their hands as if they had applied butter to their fingers.
扑住了对方进球却又让球从手中溜进球门的守门员，就好像他们手上抹了黄油似的。 For example:
England goalkeeper Robert Green dominated the headlines as a “butterfingers” after his fumble against the USA in the group rounds.
小组赛阶段，英格兰门将罗伯特?格林因其“黄油手”失球而占据了各大报刊的头条。 The term football widow doesn’t involve anyone’s actual death. It is a term for those who have a relationship with a sports fan (often a follower of football, be it American football, soccer, rugby, Australian rules football, or other) who pays more attention to the game than to their partner during the sport’s season of play.
Football widows are usually, but not always, women. Usually the “widow” has little interest in the sport themselves. The tribe grows during the World Cup, and gets a new name “World Cup widow”。
To park the bus, means to play very defensively, to get a lot of players behind the ball, to have no attacking play. Many people say that this phrase was first said by Jose Mourinho when he was Chelsea’s manager. He was describing a negative Tottenham team who played very defensively in a meeting between the two London clubs some years ago.
“铁桶式防守”(to park the bus)指在比赛中采取防守打法，让很多球员跟着球走，从不采取进攻战术。很多人都说最先用to park the bus来表示“铁桶式防守”的是曾任切尔西经理的穆里尼奥。几年前，他用这个短语描述消极应战的一支托特纳姆球队，当时，这支球队在与伦敦两家俱乐部的比赛中都坚持防守打法。
Imagine a bus parked in front of the goal. It is almost impossible to score, so people use “to park the bus” to mean one team was very negative, boring and defensive.
想象一下一辆公交车停在球门前的状况。想进球几乎是不可能的，于是，人们就用to park the bus来指代消极、缺少激情而且严密防守型的球队。
South Korea decided to proverbially ‘park the bus’ by bringing on its defensive stand-ins, who ultimately preserved its 2-0 lead.
1. 当守门员 Play the goal / in goal
2. 中坚力量: pillars of the team
3. 补射close in/ rack up
4. 欧洲杯:UEFA Euro 2008———- 2008 UEFA European Football Championship
5. 欧洲冠军联赛UEFA Champions’ League—-
6. 出局Greece crashed out of Euro 2008 after a 1-0 defeat by Russia
7. 东道主直接晋级(Austria and Switzerland )automatically qualified as hosts
8. Others are determined through qualifying matches 资格赛
9. Beckham is warming up preparing to come on pitch 热身
11. lightening quick 闪电般的速度
12. Strike rate 进球率
13. Keep his temperament 控制情绪
14. Must-win game 必赢的比赛
15. Punch of the corner flag 甩角旗
16. Putting on England shirt 穿上英格兰的战袍
17. Keep a clean sheet ( no goals were scored) 未丢球
18. Form and fitness 状态和健康
19. Play the first team 在一线队
20. Have sth under your belt: to have already achieved or obtained sth———he already has a couple of trophies under his belt 将奖杯收入囊中
21. It’s all over for Owen/ is this the end of Owen-Rooney partnership 搭档
22. Beckham’s re-inclusion in this squad 重回国家队
23. With a target man up front 目标人，即单前锋
24. Lampard plays more holding role 兰帕德趋防守/后腰型
25. Can you play them both 同时派两人上场
26. Make any position of his own 打任何位置
27. In the set-up I want 战术体系
28. On his own ground 主场
29. Play the ball through 直塞
30. Gerrad play more attacking role趋前腰型
左(右)后卫：Left (Right) Back
左(右)前卫：Left (Right) Midfielder
中圈：kickoff circle，center circle
倒钩球：bicycle kick，overhead kick
高吊传球：high lobbing pass
地滚球：rolling pass，ground pass
传球：pass the ball
接球：take a pass