delay, postpone, defer, suspend, prolong, put off
delay ： 普通用词，多指因外界原因推迟或耽误，也可指有意推迟。
postpone ： 正式用词，语气较强，多指有安排的延期，常指明延期到一定的时间。
defer ： 正式用词，语气强于postpone，多指故意拖延。
suspend ： 指暂时中断以待某种条件的实现。
prolong ： 指把时间延长至超过正常或通常的限度。
put off ： 口语用词，与postpone同义，但较通俗。
1. How much delay should we build into the plan?
2. The time delay would be smaller by eight orders of magnitude.
3. He hates delay and procrastination in all its forms.
4. A host of problems may delay the opening of the Channel Tunnel.
5. The laws led to confusion, muddle and years of delay.
6. From a medical standpoint a week is usually not a consequential delay.
7. They claimed that such a delay wouldn't hurt anyone.
8. So we set off again, cursing the delay, towards the west.
9. Attorneys for the indicted officers tried to delay the trial.
10. We'll send you a quote without delay.
11. Logistical problems may be causing the delay.
12. Can you delay him in some way?
13. Bertha was exasperated at the delay.
14. Trevor Steven entreated them to delay their departure.
15. There is no time left for delay.
1. I had to postpone ideas of a career and stay at home.
2. Ministers are using delaying tactics to postpone the report yet again.
3. It is totally out of the question to postpone the midnight deadline.
4. He decided to postpone the expedition until the following day.
5. It won't hurt to postpone the matter for a few days.
6. I shall postpone making a decision till I learn full particulars.
7. There was an audible sigh of relief in Washington when the foreign ministers decided to postpone the meeting.
8. He said it was just not permissible to postpone the main issue by allowing business to carry on as usual.
9. The committee judged it advisable to postpone the meeting.
10. She decided to postpone the converastion for that evening.
11. It won't hurt to postpone the meeting for a few more days.
12. She decided to postpone the conversation for that evening.
13. He proposed that we should postpone the trip.
14. Arise in price will make people postpone expenditure.
15. It won't hurt to postpone the meeting.
1. We wish to defer our decision until next week.
2. I shall defer replying till I hear from home.
3. We will defer to whatever the committee decides.
4. Let's defer the decision for a few weeks.
5. We all defer to him in these matters.
6. They cannot defer their departure any longer.
7. I'm not going to defer decisions just because they are not immediately politically popular.
8. Customers often defer payment for as long as possible.
9. Doctors are encouraged to defer to experts.
10. Under the circumstances, we have to defer discussing this subject.
11. I defer to my parents because they are older and wiser.
12. Do you always defer to your parents wishes?
你总是顺从父母的意志 吗 ?
13. She learnt that he had actually written home to defer his return.
14. It was out of date for Youth to defer to Age.
15. Why, then , should we defer the Declaration?
1. Ministers took the floor to denounce the decision to suspend constitutional rule.
2. Both sides in the conflict have agreed temporarily to suspend hostilities.
3. We had no alternative but halt [ suspend ] the project at the time.
4. He was compelled by illness to suspend his experiment.
5. Balloons suspend easily in the air.
6. He overstepped the mark and we had no option but to suspend him.
7. The parliament has voted by an overwhelming majority to suspend its declaration of independence.
8. I'm afraid our school will have to suspend classes tomorrow, though. "
不过明天学堂大概要停课了, ” 觉慧不在意地说.
9. A short leg " boot " cast is used to suspend the lower leg.
用小腿上打短的 “ 靴状 ” 管型来悬吊小腿.
10. Let us suspend judgement until we know all the facts.
11. Congress has authorized the president to suspend the operation of a statute.
12. The government was obliged to suspend foreign copper shipments.
13. I must suspend the military historian's critical detachment.
14. The signal will suspend the microprocessor.
15. Such fine particles suspend readily in water.