decrease, diminish, lessen, reduce, dwindle
decrease ： 指逐渐地、不断地减少。
diminish ： 侧重大小数量和重要性的不断减小，强调减小的部分。
lessen ： 普通用词，与decrease近义。指数目、程度、价值、实力等的减少。
reduce ： 普通用词，含义广。指数量、程度的降低或减少。
dwindle ： 与decrease同义，指逐渐减小，但强调变得越来越少终至全无。
on the decrease
(the law of) diminishing returns
a divorcee living in reduced circumstances.
reduce someone to the ranks
1. If the egg is not fertilised oestrogen and progesterone decrease.
2. The prices of polymers and suchlike materials will decrease.
3. The demand for tea is on the decrease ( each year ).
茶叶的需求量 ( 逐年 ) 递减.
4. Last year there was a 20 % decrease in his earnings.
5. This shows a slight decrease on the numbers of the previous month.
6. It is necessary to decrease the amount of coal used.
7. The decrease in sales was almost 20 percent.
8. The birthrate is on the decrease.
9. There has been some decrease in imports.
10. The population began to decrease.
11. There has been a decrease in traffic accidents.
12. There has been a progressive decrease in population every year in this city.
13. The workmen want to decrease the number of working hours and increase pay.
14. Bank base rates have fallen from 10 per cent to 6 per cent — a decrease of 40 per cent.
15. Gradually decrease the amount of vitamin C you are taking.
1. Federalism is intended to diminish the power of the central state.
2. We should try to diminish the cost of production.
3. As people approach old age, their energies may diminish.
4. Diminish the revenue by reducing tax.
5. He likes to diminish the skill of others.
6. The evidence suggests that our sense of touch is programmed to diminish with age.
7. His wiles and quirks do not diminish his humanity.
8. Encounters of like charges act to diminish the coagulation rate.
9. The people wanted to diminish the power of the king.
10. Body weight and physical strength diminish rapidly.
11. Nothing could diminish her enthusiasm for the project.
12. The opposition are trying to diminish our achievements.
13. We must diminish the administrative expenditure.
14. Stiff fines or jail terms for persons offering or accepting bribes diminish their incomes.
15. It did not operate to diminish the anti – Negro passions of the southern masses.
1. Toolbelts free both hands and lessen the risk of dropping hammers.
2. Several drugs are used to lessen the severity of the symptoms.
3. The noise began to lessen.
4. The flexibility of a man's muscles will lessen as he becomes old.
5. Regular exercise can help to lessen the pain.
6. He is used to a lot of attention from his wife, which will inevitably lessen when the baby is born.
7. Make sure that your immunisations are up to date to lessen the risk of serious illness.
8. They've made great effort to lessen the noise of planes.
9. The sick man had recourse to drugs to lessen his pain.
10. Doctors used to let blood from people to lessen a fever.
11. The heat will lessen during the evening.
12. She upbraided herself for the sentiment, but could not overcome or lessen it.
13. Moreover, Jianru's illness can even lessen a little of my own feeling of self – condemnation.
14. I wish something would happen to puncture her ego, ie lessen her conceit.
15. I'm taking these apples out of the bag to lessen the load I have to carry.
1. The job losses will reduce the total workforce to 7,000.
2. He finally corrected his misstatement and offered to reduce the fee.
3. The plan is designed to reduce some of the company's mountainous debt.
4. The agency should reduce turnaround time by 11 per cent.
5. They believed that controlling the money supply would reduce inflation.
6. Hybridising the two species will reduce the red to orange.
7. Other industries have had to sack managers to reduce administrative costs.
8. They are pressing the Chancellor to reduce excise duty on beer.
9. Boil the liquid in a small saucepan to reduce it by half.
10. If the Europeans did not reduce subsidies, a trade war would ensue.
11. Incorporating organic material into chalky soils will reduce the alkalinity.
12. Protective gloves reduce the absorption of chemicals through the skin.
13. The creams have been used to reduce vaginal infections.
14. People should eat less fat to reduce the risk of heart disease.
15. We all need to look for ways to reduce our carbon footprint.
1. Yet, as earth's other natural resources dwindle, nations eye the Antarctic as a final repository.
然而, 由于地球上其他自然资源的减少, 一些国家视南极洲为最后的宝库.
2. The minute you begin to forgive yourself, you start to dwindle.
3. Savings will begin to dwindle as retirees run them down.
4. The number of people going to the cinema seems to dwindle steadily.
5. In that day there will be no light ; the luminaries will dwindle.
6. His money dwindle away to nothing while traveling in europe.
7. " Yes, he has. With every advance, our numbers dwindle. "
“ 不, 他赢了. 他每前进一步, 我们的人数量就减少了. ”
8. As gym classes dwindle, can kids keep fit?
9. Females become rare, causing fewer young dinosaurs to be born and species to dwindle to extinction.
10. Bribery has begun to dwindle since the OECD convention, says Transparency International, a pressure group.
11. If I continues to endure you a little longer, I may dwindle into a wife.
12. Allowing one axis of the ellipse to dwindle to zero, the crack limIt'solution is obtained.
13. Women usually had more than men, and the amount tended to dwindle with age.
14. Over time electricity will dwindle and cease to be available to be harvested through any means.
15. Your social invitations will 10 dwindle and your circle of friends will undoubtedly shrink.