consequence, result, effect, outcome
consequence ： 多指随某一事件引起的，必然或自然的不良结果，不强调直接的因果关系，而侧重事件发展的逻辑关系。
result ： 普通用词，含义广泛，侧重因某种原因所产生的最终结果，而不是眼前的结果。
effect ： 指因某种原因直接产生的结果，着重持续稳定与其影响。
outcome ： 普通用词，多指事物经过一系列发展变化所导致的最终结局，而不是某种原因的直接结果。常可与result通用。
Denny had inquired about getting work, without result.
I suspect he's controversial for effect.
to the effect that
some comments to the effect that my essay was a little light on analysis.
to that effect
she thought it a foolish rule and put a notice to that effect in a newspaper.
testimony that in effect contradicted her earlier statement.
1. Where he is from is of no consequence to me.
2. Wastage was no doubt a necessary consequence of war.
3. As an overseer, he suddenly found himself a person of consequence.
4. Maternity services were to be reduced in consequence of falling birth rates.
5. It was an inevitable consequence of the decision.
6. This matter is of great consequence to all of us.
7. In consequence of your bad work I am forced to dismiss you.
8. Peter blurted out the news before he considered the consequence.
9. The consequence was that he caught a bad cold.
10. In consequence he lost his place.
11. It's of no consequence.
12. I regret to inform you he died as a consequence of his injuries.
13. His death was totally unexpected and, in consequence, no plans had been made for his replacement.
14. He may be a man of consequence in his own village, but he is nobody here.
15. What he liked to do was to take an idea and wrestle it by finding every possible consequence.
1. The result reflects a modest rightward shift in opinion.
2. Receding gums can be the result of disease or simply incorrect brushing.
3. Many motor accidents are the result of unthinkingly mixing speed and alcohol.
4. All sorts of colours will result as these flowers hybridise freely.
5. Spelling mistakes are often just the result of haste.
6. Carbon dioxide is a necessary result of the oxidation of carbon compounds.
7. The crash was a direct result of inadequate navigational aids.
8. Stevens's murder was the result of a deep-seated and intense hatred.
9. A bad result is sure to throw a spanner in the works.
10. The result later in life may be feelings of emptiness and depression.
11. Consensus need not be weak, nor need it result in middle-of-the-road policies.
12. 2,000 prisoners died as a result of torture and maltreatment.
13. The result has been a giant leap in productivity.
14. The result seems to contradict a major U.S. study reported last November.
15. High temperatures also result in high evaporation from the plants.
1. What will be the effect of the alliance between IBM and Apple?
2. And what of the effect on U.S domestic opinion?
3. Mr Morris feels the museum is using advertising to good effect.
4. The effect on coffee prices has been disastrous for the producers.
5. Even from a distance the effect of his fox costume was stunning.
6. The effect is soft and pretty rather than drop-dead sexy.
7. Legislation to that effect created fierce controversy both in Parliament and outside.
8. It makes you wonder about the effect on men's behaviour.
9. Some sedatives produce the para-doxical effect of making the person more anxious.
10. It is possible that a tax cut might have some stimulative effect.
11. In his mind's eye, he can imagine the effect he's having.
12. The greenhouse effect is well and truly with us.
13. The specific impact of the greenhouse effect is unknowable.
14. The illness had a profound effect on his outlook.
15. Aloe may have an analgesic effect on inflammation and minor skin irritations.
1. Jockeys are forbidden to bet on the outcome of races.
2. Bankers are keeping a wary eye on the outcome.
3. Whatever the outcome, it's going to be one hell of a fight.
4. It would be presumptuous to judge what the outcome will be.
5. The outcome depends on conditions as well as how events unfold.
6. Mr. Singh said he was pleased with the outcome.
7. These voters often determine the outcome of statewide elections.
8. His future as prime minister depends on the outcome of the elections.
9. Billions of pounds are riding on the outcome of the election.
10. His anxiety about the outcome melted, to return later but not yet.
11. Experts say a "yes" vote is still the likely outcome.
12. The outcome of the battle was indecisive.
13. He wouldn't have accepted such an inglorious outcome.
14. The outcome was still in doubt.
15. The outcome of the court case was disappointing for the family involved.