1. She was afraid in a way that was quite new to her.
2. "I'm afraid he's ill." — "I'm sorry to hear that."
3. Why should a great community like a university be afraid of nihilism?
4. I was afraid you'd simply feel we were imposing on you.
5. Aren't you afraid of being seen as a righteous crusader?
6. The street was alive with the sounds of the soldiers.
7. The doctor's voice had come alive and his small eyes shone.
8. Long before I ever went there, Africa was alive in my imagination.
9. No-one in living memory has come back from that place alive.
10. Suddenly music that seemed dull and repetitive comes alive.
Her parting words left him feeling empty and alone.
We were alone, completely private, with not even Angela present.
The BBC alone is sending 300 technicians, directors and commentators.
I'll leave you alone here so you can mull it over.
He was living alone in a dingy bedsit in London.
I was ashamed at my clumsiness and insensitivity.
I felt ashamed of myself.
I'm ashamed of the babyish nonsense I write.
I'd be ashamed to admit feeling jealous.
She was deeply ashamed of her behaviour at the party.
Thanks, lads. I appreciate it.
You can't really appreciate foreign literature in translation.
He didn't appreciate the comedy of the situation.
I'd appreciate some feedback on my work.
The seriousness of the situation is difficult to appreciate in its totality .