1.适用,奏效 be suitable to
answer with sb/sth
In ideological work, we must learn to open different locks with different keys because a method that answers with one person may not answer with another.做思想工作时,必须学会“一把钥匙开一把锁”,因为适用于一个人的方法不一定适用于另一个人。
answer sb/sth with sth
The crowd answered him with prolonged applause.群众对他报以长时间的掌声。
1.顶嘴,回嘴 retort with mouth, answer impolitely
〔说明〕 answer back不用于被动结构。
Don't answer back like that.不许这样顶嘴。
Don't answer back; it's not polite.不要顶嘴,这样不礼貌
1.对…负责; (为…)担保; 因…而受责备 undertake responsibility, guarantee; be punished or blamed for
〔说明〕 answer for通常不用于进行体。
answer for sb/sth
I will answer for him.我可以替他负责。
You must answer for her.你必须对她负责。
2.符合(…需要) answer purpose, etc.
answer for sth
This tool will answer for our needs.这工具将满足我们的需要。
3.充当…,起…作用 serve for
answer for sth
This box will answer for a chair.这个箱子可以当椅子用。
〔说明〕 answer to通常用于一般时态,不用于被动结构,一般也不用于进行体。
1.适应,符合 match (sth usually a description); accord with, conform to
answer to sth
That answers precisely to our needs.这正好适合我们的需要。
answer up (v.+adv.)
answer up (to sth)
1.迅速回答,清晰地讲 answer quickly; talk clearly
Answer up,I cannot hear what you say.讲清楚点,我听不清你的话。
answer, reply, respond, retort, return
1. "I can't give you an answer now," he hedged.
2. Two historical questions — you can answer them how you like.
3. Two men answer-ing the description of the suspects tried to enter Switzerland.
4. He grimaced slightly, obviously expecting no answer to his rhetorical question.
5. I don't quite know what to say in answer to your question.
6. I'll be happy to answer any questions if there are any.
7. She is tough, unwilling to take no for an answer.
8. The answer had come to him in a flash.
9. The housekeeper moved smartly to the Vicar's desk to answer the call.
10. I'm afraid I have to answer a call of nature.
11. This drug could be the answer to our prayers.
12. That statement seemed designed to answer criticism of allied bombing missions.
13. She had rung off before he could press her for an answer.
14. He must be made to answer for his terrible crimes.
15. Privatisation and gimmickry are not the answer to improving Britain's rail service.